Paolo Boffetta – What are the various forms of carcinoma cancer?
Paolo Boffetta is a globally-renowned epidemiologist from Italy who specializes in cancer research. He is a medical graduate from the University of Turin with a wealth of experience exceeding three decades. He has the privilege of holding important positions in the top universities and medical institutions around the world.
These include America Cancer Society, Columbia University, International Agency for Research on Cancer, Karolinska Institute, and US National Cancer Institute. Currently, he is a Professor in the Department of Family, Population & Preventive Medicine at Stony Brook University. He also holds the post of Associate Director for Population Sciences at the University’s Cancer Center.
He says doctors are able to diagnose whether patients are suffering from carcinoma or not by conducting a biopsy. This is a medical test where they extract a tissue sample where these cancerous cells are present in the body. Their objective is to study the sample closely to determine which of the following five categories it falls in:
- Basal cell carcinoma is a type of skin cancer where the abnormal cells affect the deepest section of the epidermis,
- Squamous cell carcinoma is another form of skin cancer resulting from the body’s exposure to the sun’s ultraviolet rays,
- Renal cell carcinoma where cancerous cells originate, develop and obstruct the lining of small tubes forming the kidneys,
- Ductal carcinoma in situ is the most prevalent form of breast cancer where the cancerous cells confine themselves to the outer areas of milk ducts, and
- Invasive ductal carcinoma where the cancerous cells actually extend beyond the duct lining to affect breast tissue.
Is it possible to cure carcinoma cancer?
He further explains all forms of carcinoma cancer are curable. This is possible only if doctors are able to diagnose their patients’ symptoms at an early stage. Only then they can decide how to treat them depending on the location and category of the cancer cells. They normally resort to surgery, chemotherapy, radiation, or targeted cancer therapy. Each of these treatments has its own set of benefits and side effects. Doctors generally choose the one which best suits their patients’ specific needs.
Read more: The Difference Between CBD Oil and Hemp Oil
Paolo Boffetta sums up by saying carcinoma is the most common form of cancer affecting patients. This chronic disease generally takes any one of five different forms.These are basal cells, squamous cells, renal cells, ductal, and invasive, depending on the symptoms they exhibit. Fortunately, patients can be treated by undergoing surgery, radiation treatment, chemotherapy, or targeted cancer therapy.